What are psychological causes of delayed ejaculation?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Some men with delayed ejaculation (DE) may get physiologically aroused when they're with a partner but are mentally disconnected and cannot focus enough to climax. A man may have worries that are related to sex, such as getting you pregnant. He might also be worried about his performance, which can be very intrusive. These negative thoughts -- "I wonder if she is enjoying this?", "I wonder if I am going to have difficulty coming?" or even, "I don't think that she is that attracted to me" -- pull a man's attention away from the action and make it difficult for him to reach the heights of orgasm. A man may also be preoccupied with concerns outside the bedroom, such as the economy, work, or finances.

Psychosocial and cultural factors can also play a significant role in DE. For example, religions that are extremely structured and strict in their views related to sexuality (those in which masturbation and/or sex outside of marriage is forbidden or discouraged) generally prevent men from learning about and experiencing sexual pleasure. Ultimately, this can hinder a guy's sexual self-expression when he becomes sexually active. Or, his shame and guilt can inhibit him from truly immersing himself mentally and emotionally in the experience of sex.

Guys with DE may also be dealing with control issues: They have trouble letting go and experiencing pleasure in various aspects of their life -- including their sex life. Or, they have sex to be able to brag about the number of partners they have had, but in the end are not really immersed in the sensuality of the sexual experience.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

How can I achieve the best orgasm?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
There is only one kind of orgasm. Sure, you can achieve it in different ways. But in the end, an org...
How can I have an orgasm during sex?
Debby HerbenickDebby Herbenick
First, focus on the pleasure of sex, not orgasm as a goal, which adds anxiety. That said, try to...
How can I enjoy sex if my partner has premature ejaculation?
Sari CooperSari Cooper
It is important that a man's partner be gentle and direct about the frustration they're feeling rega...
How can I have an orgasm if I’ve never have had one?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
Just because you haven’t had an orgasm doesn’t mean you can’t have one. Your first orgasm will be ea...