Do orgasms affect men differently than women?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
All men have a point of what we call "ejaculatory inevitability" during sex when they can't hold back from an orgasm, no matter what. And all men have an "ejaculatory threshold," which is the amount of stimulation they can experience before reaching this "point of no return."

Women, on the other hand, don't experience ejaculatory inevitability -- they can "lose" an orgasm even as it's happening. There are pros and cons to both situations: Sure, it's tougher for some women to climax, especially if they're distracted. On the other hand, women are able to enjoy multiple orgasms and have rarely been accused of coming "too fast". Orgasmic bliss is more of a sure thing for guys, but it's got its own downside: It's easy for some men to pass that point of ejaculatory inevitability sooner than they -- and their partners -- would like. That's called premature ejaculation.

Obviously, there are some differences between the sexual organs of men and women, but the two sexes actually experience orgasms quite similarly. In both men and women, an orgasm is the climax of sexual arousal, and it results in a pleasurable throbbing sensation caused by involuntary muscle contraction. In men, this contraction happens in the penis and ejaculatory ducts; in women, the vagina and uterus contract. In both sexes, the pelvic muscles, rectum, and other muscles throughout the body go through this rhythmic contraction and relaxation. For men, orgasm is often accompanied by ejaculation, which is the release of semen through the urethra. Women don't usually ejaculate, but women are much more likely than men to have multiple orgasms in a short time frame. Both men and women experience other effects of orgasm, like a faster heart rate, heavier breathing, and the release of "feel-good" hormones.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

What is delayed ejaculation?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Delayed ejaculation occurs when a man is able to have an erection but isn't able to ejaculate. T...
How can I reach orgasm if my partner has premature ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
There's a whole world of sexual activities that have nothing to do with when a guy ejaculates -- or ...
How can I enjoy sex if my partner has premature ejaculation?
Sari CooperSari Cooper
It is important that a man's partner be gentle and direct about the frustration they're feeling rega...
Can orgasms be caused by anything other than sex?
Orgasms can be caused by almost any type of sexual activity, not just sexual intercourse. Oral sex a...