How can I have an orgasm if I’ve never have had one?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed

Just because you haven’t had an orgasm doesn’t mean you can’t have one. Your first orgasm will be easiest (A) when you are alone, (B) when you are using a vibrator, if available and (C) when you aren’t trying to have an orgasm. (B) has to do with increasing excitation cues -- that is, giving your brain more reasons to tell your genitals, “Yes, NOW!” The mechanical vibration provided by toys is more intense than most other types can provide. More stimulation leads to more arousal, which leads to an easier/faster orgasm. (A) and (C) have to do with reducing potential inhibitors. Inhibition, in this context, doesn’t mean shyness, as it often gets used. It means brakes, things that cause your brain to tell your genitals “not now!” (A) helps to minimize the intrusive thoughts that many women experience when their partner is in the room. All that thinking about what your partner might be thinking about both distracts you from the pleasure you’re experiencing and gives your brain excuses to send “stop it!” signals to your genitals. Without your partner there, you can pay attention to the pleasure and not fret about the partner. Add the partner later, when you’ve got the hang of it.

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

Want to learn how to achieve 487 different kinds of orgasms?If so, you’re reading the wrong guidebook. Despite what many in the media would have you believe, there’s no such thing as a rainbow...

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

What medications can cause delayed ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
A number of medications can have delayed ejaculation (DE) as a side effect. Tops on the list are...
Why is orgasm hard to achieve early in a relationship?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
A woman is less likely to have orgasms early in a relationship. Her body needs time to adapt to the ...
How can I cope with delayed ejaculation?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Focus more on foreplay during sex. The spark of novelty, anticipation, sharing fantasies and other p...
What is delayed ejaculation?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Delayed ejaculation occurs when a man is able to have an erection but isn't able to ejaculate. T...