How do medications treat the inability to orgasm?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Most of the time, medications aren't used as a primary treatment for anorgasmia, or the inability to orgasm. Sometimes, medications may be used to treat underlying medical conditions that are causing anorgasmia. Other times, medications themselves are the cause for the inability to orgasm, so medications may have to be switched or adjusted as a way to treat the problem. In some cases, doctors may recommend hormone therapy to treat anorgasmia. This treatment involves taking hormone supplements, either estrogen or testosterone, to replace these sex hormones if they're not produced naturally by the body. These supplements are available in a variety of forms, including pills, patches, and gels, and they may improve your ability to orgasm. Talk to your doctor to determine the best treatment for you.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

How can I help my partner have a female orgasm?
Debby HerbenickDebby Herbenick
First, don’t make orgasm a goal, which only adds anxiety. That said, try touching her clitoris d...
As a man, how can I help my partner reach orgasm?
Good In BedGood In Bed
Sex isn't necessarily better when it's longer. If you're not hitting all the right spots, she's not ...
What medications can cause delayed ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
A number of medications can have delayed ejaculation (DE) as a side effect. Tops on the list are...
How can I reach orgasm if my partner has premature ejaculation?
There's a whole world of sexual activities that have nothing to do with when a guy ejaculates -- or ...