What factors affect the ability to orgasm?

Samuel Wood, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
There are many complicated factors that can affect a woman's ability to orgasm, both physical and psychological. In this video, reproductive endocrinologist Samuel Wood, MD/PhD, discusses some key factors that can impact a woman's ability to orgasm.

A variety of physical and psychological factors may affect a person's ability to orgasm. Certain medical conditions and medications may affect a person's ability to have an orgasm. Getting older may also affect various aspects of sexuality, including the ability to orgasm. Psychological factors, both temporary and permanent, may also play a role. Being stressed, anxious, or tired may temporarily affect your ability to orgasm. More long-term problems like depression, relationship problems, or a preoccupation with "perfect" sex or performance anxiety can also interfere with your ability to orgasm. If you're unable to orgasm or are worried about your sexual health, talk to your doctor for possible solutions.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

How can I achieve the best orgasm?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
There is only one kind of orgasm. Sure, you can achieve it in different ways. But in the end, an org...
How can I help my partner last longer during sex?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Try positions that emphasize the top of the penis rather than the sensitive underside. Focusing on p...
How can I have an orgasm if I’ve never have had one?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
Just because you haven’t had an orgasm doesn’t mean you can’t have one. Your first orgasm will be ea...
How can I have an orgasm during sex?
Debby HerbenickDebby Herbenick
First, focus on the pleasure of sex, not orgasm as a goal, which adds anxiety. That said, try to...