What is a good safety rule when taking acetaminophen?

The daily upper limit for acetaminophen is 4 grams, or 4,000 milligrams (mg). However, it is not recommended that you take that amount routinely or more than 3,000 mg a day. As with most medications, if you are taking acetaminophen daily or routinely need it, please check with your healthcare provider. Acetaminophen is toxic to the liver. If you have other health problems, especially a liver disease, or are taking other medications that may also affect the liver, your daily limit may be lower, so discuss this with your healthcare provider. Other pain medications can contain high amounts of acetaminophen, so this may add to the toxicity as well.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

What are the possible side effects of acetaminophen?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
One disadvantage to acetaminophen is it has a ceiling effect to analgesia, meaning higher doses ...
What should I know before taking acetaminophen?
Before taking acetaminophen you should know if any other medications that you take contain acetamino...
When should I take acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Keep acetaminophen (Tylenol) in your medicine cabinet for fever or pain relief, especially when ...
What happens if you overdose on acetaminophen?
Acetaminophen overdoses can kill you via liver failure. You should go to the nearest emergency room ...