How does Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning affect the body?

If you take more than the safe, recommended dose of 4 grams of acetaminophen per day, liver damage can take place. This is because some amount of the drug becomes a toxic substance, called a metabolite, as it gets processed in the body. This metabolite can attach to liver proteins, causing damage to the liver cells. When too much acetaminophen is taken, this damage becomes serious. Severe overdoses can cause acute liver failure, and in some cases, death.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

Is acetaminophen okay for use in children?
Yes, acetaminophen (Tylenol) has long been a standard remedy for fever and pain in children. It's ef...
How can an acetaminophen overdose in children be prevented?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Your child is at risk of experiencing an overdose if you administer the adult formulation or the...
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
What Are the Risks of Taking Acetaminophen?