How do medications treat Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning?

Medications used to treat Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning work by either reducing the absorption of the Tylenol by the liver, or by acting as an antidote by making the acetaminophen less toxic. Activated charcoal can be given within one hour of overdose, and can prevent the dangerous amounts of acetaminophen from being absorbed into a person's system. In more advanced cases, when excess acetaminophen has already become toxic, N-acetylcysteine (NAL) can act as a blocker, keeping the toxic acetaminophen from attaching to the liver proteins.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

What are the risks of taking too much acetaminophen?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Acetaminophen is a widely used medication and is safe when using the proper dosage. In this video, I...
What can I take instead of acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain relief?
Instead of relying on one medication to relieve your constant pain, you can switch back and fort...
How to Treat a Bee Sting
How to Treat a Bee Sting
How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever
How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever