What is the maximum safe dose of Tylenol (acetaminophen)?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
An FDA advisory committee recommended in 2009 that the maximum adult dose of acetaminophen be reduced from 1,000 mg to 650mg at one time, and that the total daily maximum be reduced from 4 g to 2.6 g.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD

Too much Tylenol, or acetaminophen, can be dangerous, especially to the liver. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller reveals the new recommendations for the maximum daily dose of Tylenol.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

How can I find out if a medication contains acetaminophen?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
You can determine if an over-the-counter (OTC) medicine contains acetaminophen by checking the p...
What are the risks of taking acetaminophen?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The biggest risk of taking too much acetaminophen is that is can cause liver damage, which has a...
What Are the Risks of Taking Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?