How is Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning diagnosed?

Diagnosis first involves the identification of a possible overdose of acetaminophen. Because a person may have either intentionally or unintentionally taken other medications and because symptoms sometimes take a while to manifest, a toxicology screening and test of alcohol levels are often performed. Blood tests given periodically in the first 24 hours after ingestion can determine acetaminophen levels in the blood, while other tests can determine possible reductions in liver function. Once symptoms of Tylenol poisoning set it, they can be used to aid in the diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

How does acetaminophen relieve pain?
Acetaminophen is an antipyretic and analgesic which means it works to reduce fever and lessen pain. ...
How does acetaminophen interact with other medications?
If you are taking the following drugs, acetaminophen can lead to side effects and should be avoided:...
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Play It Safe When You Take Acetaminophen