Does paracetamol cause liver damage?

Paracetamol (more commonly known as acetaminophen) may cause liver damage if not taken as directed and if it is taken together with alcohol. Taking excessive amounts of either paracetamol or alcohol in combination can cause serious damage to your liver. The maximum amount of paracetamol that most people should take in one day is 4,000 milligrams (mg.). However, if you drink more than three alcoholic beverages a day, the most you should take in a day is 2,000 mg. Even then, you are still at risk for liver damage.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

What are the risks of taking too much acetaminophen?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Acetaminophen is a widely used medication and is safe when using the proper dosage. In this video, I...
How does acetaminophen relieve menstrual symptoms?
Acetaminophen relieves pain from cramps by blocking the feeling of pain in the central nervous syste...
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
What Are the Risks of Taking Acetaminophen?