Does acetaminophen (Tylenol) help osteoarthritis pain?

Most experts on osteoarthritis consider acetaminophen the initial medication of choice for controlling pain if lifestyle and self-help measures are not sufficient. Some brand names include Tylenol, Anacin-3, Datril, Liquiprin, Panadol, Phenaphen, and Valadol. Acetaminophen also is found in some combination drugs, such Tylox. There are no differences in efficacy or safety among brands, including store brands.

Acetaminophen is an effective pain reliever, does not act against inflammation or irritate the stomach, and is somewhat less likely than NSAIDs to cause long-term side effects. Before choosing or adding other pain medications, it is recommended that patients first try increasing the dose of acetaminophen to the full amount recommended—about 1,000 mg four times per day.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

What Are the Risks of Taking Acetaminophen?
How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever
How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever
What is Acetaminophen?
What is Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?