Is there a cure for Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning?

In many cases of Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning, a person is able to recover fully. The administration of activated charcoal in early stages of poisoning can prevent the liver from absorbing toxic amounts of the medication and make hospitalization unnecessary. However, in cases of extreme overdoses, the timeliness of treatment greatly factors into a person's chance at full recovery. If treatment with N-acetylcysteine (NAL) is begun within eight hours, it is almost certain the person will recover. However, if the liver has sustained too much damage, your only option may be turn to treatments for liver failure, because NAL cannot heal damage once it has occurred.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

Should I let my doctor know I am taking acetaminophen?
You should always talk to your doctor if you are planning on taking acetaminophen or any other medic...
Who is most at risk of an acetaminophen overdose?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Many people consume the maximum daily dose in acetaminophen tablets without taking into account the ...
Play It Safe When You Take Acetaminophen
How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever
How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever