How do I care for someone with Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you suspect someone may have taken a large enough overdose of acetaminophen to cause poisoning, you should contact a doctor or your local poison control center immediately, even if the person says they feel fine; symptoms sometimes take over 24 hours to appear. You can help the doctor assess the severity of the poisoning by providing information about the type and amount of medication your loved one has ingested, and an estimation of the time it was taken. Remember that early detection and treatment can often prevent hospitalization, liver damage, and even death that may occur if the overdose is left untreated.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever
How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever
Play It Safe When You Take Acetaminophen
What is Acetaminophen?
What is Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?