Are there alternative treatments for Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning?

If you've been poisoned by acetaminophen, it is very important that you receive proper medical intervention so that you don't sustain permanent liver damage. While the most common treatment for Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning is an antidote called N-acetylcysteine (NAL), the timely administration of activated charcoal is another option. It can often prevent or reduce the need for further treatment and hospitalization, but only if a person is able to report the possible overdose within the first few hours. Activated charcoal can stop the liver from absorbing the acetaminophen before it gets there.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

How can I find out if a medication contains acetaminophen?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
You can determine if an over-the-counter (OTC) medicine contains acetaminophen by checking the p...
How should I take acetaminophen?
Because there are many different types and combinations of acetaminophen, there are also many differ...
How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever
How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?