Are there alternative treatments for Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning?

If you've been poisoned by acetaminophen, it is very important that you receive proper medical intervention so that you don't sustain permanent liver damage. While the most common treatment for Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning is an antidote called N-acetylcysteine (NAL), the timely administration of activated charcoal is another option. It can often prevent or reduce the need for further treatment and hospitalization, but only if a person is able to report the possible overdose within the first few hours. Activated charcoal can stop the liver from absorbing the acetaminophen before it gets there.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

What should I know before taking acetaminophen?
Before taking acetaminophen you should know if any other medications that you take contain acetamino...
How does acetaminophen relieve menstrual symptoms?
Acetaminophen relieves pain from cramps by blocking the feeling of pain in the central nervous syste...
Play It Safe When You Take Acetaminophen
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?