Why are ACE inhibitor medications beneficial if I have diabetes?

An angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor is an oral medicine that lowers blood pressure. For people with diabetes, especially those who have protein (albumin) in the urine, it also helps slow down kidney damage.

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinologist

An angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor's job is blood pressure control, but as a side effect, the medication literally shields your kidneys from the harmful effects of elevated blood sugar and from the inevitable blood sugar spikes that are part and parcel of having diabetes. ACE inhibitors do such a good job of this that it's now the standard of care for all people with diabetes to take ACE inhibitors, even if their blood pressure is spot-on perfect.

Diabetes Warrior: Be your own knight in shining armor. How to stay healthy and happy with diabetes.

You survived the first year: now there is more to learn... Knights? Dragons? Diabetes?! Yep, armed with a wickedly sharp sense of humor and a medieval metaphor, Taming the Tiger author William Lee...

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

What are ACE inhibitors?
Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) stop producti...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing heart failure?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective for patients with systolic heart failure. AC...
Can I take angiotensin converting enyme (ACE) inhibitors if I'm pregnant?
Research shows that using angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors during pregnancy, especiall...
How do ACE inhibitors treat heart attacks?
Anjan Gupta, MDAnjan Gupta, MD
Heart attack is caused by rupture of cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels of the heart leading to...