Who should not take Mavik?

You should not take the blood pressure drug Mavik (trandolapril) if you have ever had an allergic reaction to it.

Do not take Mavik if you have a history of angioedema (swelling under the skin). Mavik is what's called an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, and that class of medications can trigger angioedema, a potentially dangerous condition. Certain other medical conditions can increase your risk for side effects from Mavik, so before you start taking it, you should give your doctor a complete medical history. You should also tell him or her about all your other medications (prescription and over-the-counter), as well as any supplements you take, because Mavik can interact with some drugs and supplements.

You should not take Mavik if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. This drug can harm or be fatal to a developing fetus, and may harm a nursing infant.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...
More Answers
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing diabetes?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
People with diabetes should have a blood pressure goal of 140/90 or less. ARBs (angiotensin receptor...
More Answers
Why are ACE inhibitor medications beneficial if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
An angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor is an oral medicine that lowers blood pressure. For...
More Answers
What should I know before taking ACE inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
You should not take an ACE inhibitor if you have ever shown signs of intolerance when taking one in ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.