When should I call my doctor if I am taking Lotensin?

While taking Lotensin (benazepril) for the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension), you should call your doctor if the following side effects become severe, persistent or bothersome:
  • cough
  • drowsiness
  • dizziness
  • headache
More serious side effects should prompt an immediate call to your doctor. These include:
  • angioedema, which is swelling under the skin of the face, eyes, lips, tongue, throat, hands, lower legs, feet or ankles
  • yellowing of the eyes or skin
  • trouble breathing or swallowing
  • fainting or light-headedness
  • rash, hives or itching
  • irregular heartbeat
  • trouble passing urine or a change in the amount of urine
  • hoarseness
  • signs of infection, such as fever, chills or sore throat
You should also call your doctor if you become pregnant, suspect you are pregnant or want to become pregnant. Lotensin can cause serious harm or even be fatal to a developing fetus.

A number of other medications can interact with Lotensin. To avoid dangerous or uncomfortable interactions, always consult your doctor before you start any new drugs (prescription or over-the-counter), vitamins or herbal supplements.

If Lotensin does not seem to be helping control your high blood pressure, call your doctor. Your dose or timing may need to be adjusted.

If you want to stop taking Lotensin, call your doctor. Do not stop taking the medicine without first talking to your doctor. Lotensin may help control your high blood pressure, but it is not a cure. If you stop taking the medicine, your blood pressure may climb dangerously high without your being aware of it.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

What effects do ARBs and ACE inhibitors have on the aging process?
Mark C. Houston, MDMark C. Houston, MD
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) and angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are used...
Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...
Do ACE inhibitors have any drug interactions?
If you are taking the following drugs, ACE inhibitors can lead to side effects and should be avoided...
How do ACE inhibitors treat heart attacks?
Anjan Gupta, MDAnjan Gupta, MD
Heart attack is caused by rupture of cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels of the heart leading to...