When should I call my doctor if I am taking Altace?

While you're taking Altace (ramipril) for high blood pressure, you should call your doctor immediately if you think you may be having an allergic reaction. Symptoms of a severe reaction include swelling in your face, tongue, throat, lips, eyes, hands, feet or lower legs and trouble breathing or swallowing.

Also call your doctor right away if you experience any of the following:
  • yellow skin or eyes
  • signs of infection, including a fever and sore throat
  • feeling lightheaded and/or fainting
Altace can also cause less serious side effects, including headache, dizziness, tiredness and a dry cough. Tell your doctor about any symptoms that you have while taking this medication that get worse or don't go away.

You should also call your doctor if you think you may be pregnant. Altace may cause severe birth defects or even death to a developing fetus. If you find out you are pregnant while taking Altace, you should stop taking it right away and talk to your doctor about alternatives.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

how effective are ace inhibitors for managing heart failure ?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective for patients with systolic heart failure. AC...
More Answers
what are ace inhibitors ?
Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) stop producti...
More Answers
why are ace inhibitor medications beneficial if i have diabetes ?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
An angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor is an oral medicine that lowers blood pressure. For...
More Answers
what are some common ace inhibitor drug names ?
Examples of some commonly prescribed ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitor medications are: ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.