What can I take for a cough that is caused by my ACE inhibitor medication?

Many people with diabetes have problems with high blood pressure. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are ideal for this problem. One of their side benefits is to reduce blood pressure in the kidneys and to protect them from damage. Studies have shown that these medications actually reduce the rate of kidney damage caused by diabetes.
Unfortunately, these drugs also affect the lungs, and about 20% of people treated with them develop an annoying cough. Although this cough is not dangerous, some patients have to stop taking their ACE inhibitor medication because they can't tolerate the cough Some ACE inhibitors cause less of a problem with coughing than others. Ask your health care team about the best medication for you.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How do ACE inhibitors treat heart attacks?
Anjan Gupta, MDAnjan Gupta, MD
Heart attack is caused by rupture of cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels of the heart leading to...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...
What are side effects of ACE inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects may include swelling of the lips, face, or limbs, coughing, rashes, headaches, dizzines...
Why are ACE inhibitor medications beneficial if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
An angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor is an oral medicine that lowers blood pressure. For...