What should I know before taking ACE inhibitors?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
You should not take an ACE inhibitor if you have ever shown signs of intolerance when taking one in the past.

You should not take an ACE inhibitor if you are breastfeeding. The medication is believed to be passed on in milk, and may harm a nursing child.

If you have had angioedema, you should not take an ACE inhibitor.

If you have kidney disease, an ACE inhibitor may not be a good option for you. 

If you have liver disease, an ACE inhibitor may not be a good option for you.

If you have renal artery stenosis, an ACE inhibitor may not be a good option for you.

If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or believe you may be pregnant, you should not take an ACE inhibitor.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing heart failure?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective for patients with systolic heart failure. AC...
Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...
What are ACE inhibitor drugs for diabetes management?
Lowering blood pressure by taking an ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitor reduces the risk ...
What are side effects of ACE inhibitors?
Side effects may include swelling of the lips, face, or limbs, coughing, rashes, headaches, dizzines...