What should I know about Zestril before taking it?

Before taking Zestril (lisinopril), a drug used to treat high blood pressure and other cardiac disorders, make sure your doctor knows if you are allergic to any medications. To avoid drug interactions, you should also give him or her a list of the other medicines, herbal products, vitamins and nutritional products you are taking. Make sure your doctor has your complete medical history, especially if you have had heart or kidney disease or a condition called angioedema, in which swelling of the blood vessels makes your face, neck and other areas swell. These problems can increase your risk of side effects from Zestril.

You should also know that Zestril can make you light-headed, especially when you start taking it. Talk to your doctor if you experience this or if you faint. You should also let your doctor know if you have a sore throat, fever or other signs of infection because Zestril occasionally affects your immune system. Finally, if you're on medication for diabetes, you should know that adding Zestril can make your blood sugar drop. You should monitor your blood sugar closely, especially when you're starting Zestril.

Zestril has been shown to cause birth defects and even fetal death. Before you start taking Zestril, tell your doctor if you're pregnant or if you plan to become pregnant. If you are on Zestril and become pregnant, stop taking the drug immediately and call your doctor.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...
How do ACE inhibitors help prevent stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
ACE inhibitors (benazepril, enalapril) are medications commonly used to prevent ischemic stroke. The...
Can I take angiotensin converting enyme (ACE) inhibitors if I'm pregnant?
Research shows that using angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors during pregnancy, especiall...
What are ACE inhibitor drugs for coronary artery disease management?
ACE inhibitors relax blood vessels by reducing the level of angiotensin II, a hormone that makes blo...