What should I know before my child uses enalaprilat?

Before your child uses the blood pressure drug enalaprilat, you should know that there haven't been enough studies to determine whether this drug is safe and effective for use in a child. Your child's doctor will be able to help determine whether enalaprilat is the right treatment for your child.

You should know that enalaprilat is an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor prescribed for treating high blood pressure. ACE inhibitors work by decreasing certain chemicals that tighten the blood vessels -- relaxing the vessels allows blood to flow more smoothly. Enalaprilat is given by infusion into a vein at a hospital, doctor's office or clinic.

You should tell your doctor if your child is allergic to enalapril (the active ingredient in enalaprilat) or any of the other ingredients in enalaprilat or to any other drugs, foods, dyes or preservatives.

Tell your child's doctor about any other prescription or over-the-counter medications your child takes and any herbal or dietary supplements. Be sure to mention if your child uses any of the following:
  • aspirin
  • diuretics
  • lithium
  • other medicines for high blood pressure
  • nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, naproxen or indomethacin
  • potassium supplements or potassium-containing salt substitutes
  • heart medications
Also give your child's doctor a complete medical history for your child. Certain medical conditions increase your child's risk for serious side effects. Be sure to mention any of the following:
  • bone marrow disease
  • heart or blood vessel disease
  • immune system disease like lupus
  • low blood pressure
  • previous swelling of the tongue, face, eyes or lips, with difficulty breathing or swallowing, hoarseness or tightening of the throat
Let your child's doctor know if your child is on a special diet, such as a low-salt diet.