What is quinapril?

Quinapril, available under the brand name Accupril, is a prescription medication used to treat high blood pressure. The medication is an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor (ACE inhibitor). Quinapril decreases the presence of chemicals in the bloodstream that tighten blood vessels. When these chemical are removed, the blood vessels relax, blood can flow more easily, and there is less strain on the heart to pump blood. While quinapril can control and lower blood pressure, it is not a cure for high blood pressure or heart disease. Quinapril only works as long as you take the medication.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How effective are angiotensin receptor blockers for heart failure?
ARBs are sometimes considered as alternatives to ACE inhibitors for people with heart failure after ...
What should I know before taking ACE inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
You should not take an ACE inhibitor if you have ever shown signs of intolerance when taking one in ...
What are ACE inhibitors?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
ACE inhibitors lower blood pressure by blocking angiotensin converting enzyme. This enzyme promotes ...
Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...