What is Capoten?

Capoten (captopril) is a prescription medicine to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and other conditions, including congestive heart failure and heart damage after a heart attack. It can also slow the progression of kidney disease in people with diabetes.

Capoten is an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor that blocks an enzyme in the body needed to produce a substance that causes blood vessels to tighten. As a result, the blood vessels relax. This lowers blood pressure and increases the supply of blood and oxygen to the heart.

Capoten tablets come in four dosages: 12.5 milligrams (mg), 25 mg, 50 mg and 100 mg. The tablets are taken by mouth two or three times a day, one hour before or two hours after meals.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

What can I take for a cough that is caused by my ACE inhibitor medication?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many people with diabetes have problems with high blood pressure. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE...
Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...
How do ACE inhibitors help prevent stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
ACE inhibitors (benazepril, enalapril) are medications commonly used to prevent ischemic stroke. The...
What are angiotensin receptor blockers for coronary artery disease?
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) block the hormone angiotensin 2. This limits the amount of sodi...