What is Capoten?

Capoten (captopril) is a prescription medicine to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and other conditions, including congestive heart failure and heart damage after a heart attack. It can also slow the progression of kidney disease in people with diabetes.

Capoten is an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor that blocks an enzyme in the body needed to produce a substance that causes blood vessels to tighten. As a result, the blood vessels relax. This lowers blood pressure and increases the supply of blood and oxygen to the heart.

Capoten tablets come in four dosages: 12.5 milligrams (mg), 25 mg, 50 mg and 100 mg. The tablets are taken by mouth two or three times a day, one hour before or two hours after meals.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

What effects do ARBs and ACE inhibitors have on the aging process?
Mark C. Houston, MDMark C. Houston, MD
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) and angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are used...
How do ACE inhibitors help prevent stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
ACE inhibitors (benazepril, enalapril) are medications commonly used to prevent ischemic stroke. The...
Do ACE inhibitors have any drug interactions?
If you are taking the following drugs, ACE inhibitors can lead to side effects and should be avoided...
What can I take for a cough that is caused by my ACE inhibitor medication?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many people with diabetes have problems with high blood pressure. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE...