What is Altace (ramipril)?

Altace (ramipril) is a prescription medication that treats high blood pressure and helps reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke. Like other angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, Altace works by preventing certain chemicals from tightening and narrowing the blood vessels, allowing blood to flow more freely and lowering blood pressure. Altace may be used to lower the risk of a heart attack or stroke or to improve survival in people who have already a heart attack or stroke. Altace is available as a capsule that is taken by mouth. The generic name of Altace is ramipril.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

What can I take for a cough that is caused by my ACE inhibitor medication?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many people with diabetes have problems with high blood pressure. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE...
How do ACE inhibitors help prevent stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
ACE inhibitors (benazepril, enalapril) are medications commonly used to prevent ischemic stroke. The...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...
What are ACE inhibitor drugs for coronary artery disease management?
ACE inhibitors relax blood vessels by reducing the level of angiotensin II, a hormone that makes blo...