What is Altace?

Altace (ramipril) is a prescription medication that treats high blood pressure and helps reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke. Like other angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, Altace works by preventing certain chemicals from tightening and narrowing the blood vessels, allowing blood to flow more freely and lowering blood pressure. Altace may be used to lower the risk of a heart attack or stroke, or to improve survival in people who have already suffered a heart attack or stroke. Altace is available as a capsule that is taken by mouth. The generic name of Altace is ramipril.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...
Why are ACE inhibitor medications beneficial if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
An angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor is an oral medicine that lowers blood pressure. For...
How safe are ACE inhibitors?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
In general, ACE inhibitors are quite safe.ACE inhibitors lower blood pressure by blocking angiotensi...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...