If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Altace?

If you are pregnant, it is not safe to use Altace (ramipril), a drug used to treat high blood pressure. If you find out you are pregnant while taking Altace, you should stop taking it right away and talk to your doctor about alternatives.

Altace is one of a group of drugs known as angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. Studies have shown that ACE inhibitors, including Altace, can increase the risk of birth defects in a developing fetus or even cause the death of a developing fetus or newborn baby.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

What effects do ARBs and ACE inhibitors have on the aging process?
Mark C. Houston, MDMark C. Houston, MD
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) and angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are used...
What are angiotensin receptor blockers for coronary artery disease?
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) block the hormone angiotensin 2. This limits the amount of sodi...
What can I take for a cough that is caused by my ACE inhibitor medication?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many people with diabetes have problems with high blood pressure. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE...
What are ACE inhibitor drugs for diabetes management?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Lowering blood pressure by taking an ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitor reduces the risk ...