I have kidney problems -- can I still take quinapril?

If you have kidney problems, you can still take quinapril, but you will need to take a lower dose than normal. To decide on a safe dose for you, your doctor will check something called your creatinine clearance; this indicates how well your kidney is clearing out substances that should not be in your body. Depending on the result of this test, your doctor will adjust the normal dose of quinapril to a dose that your kidney can tolerate safely.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How do ACE inhibitors treat heart attacks?
Anjan Gupta, MDAnjan Gupta, MD
Heart attack is caused by rupture of cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels of the heart leading to...
How safe are ACE inhibitors?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
In general, ACE inhibitors are quite safe.ACE inhibitors lower blood pressure by blocking angiotensi...
Why are ACE inhibitor medications beneficial if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
An angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor is an oral medicine that lowers blood pressure. For...
Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...