Is it safe to use Lotensin if I have a history of angioedema?

Experts say that it is not safe for people who have a history of angioedema -- swelling under the skin of the face, eyes, lips, tongue, throat, hands, lower legs, ankles or feet -- to use the blood pressure drug Lotensin (benazepril). Lotensin is an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, a class of medications that have been known to trigger angioedema. That condition is potentially life-threatening. It is more common in black people than in non-black people. If you develop angioedema while taking Lotensin, stop taking the drug and alert your doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing heart failure?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective for patients with systolic heart failure. AC...
What are angiotensin receptor blockers for heart failure management?
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) are sometimes prescribed as first-line therapy for people with ...
What are ACE inhibitor drugs for heart failure management?
Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are recommended for all people with systolic heart fa...
What can I take for a cough that is caused by my ACE inhibitor medication?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many people with diabetes have problems with high blood pressure. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE...