Is it safe to use Lotensin if I have a history of angioedema?

Experts say that it is not safe for people who have a history of angioedema -- swelling under the skin of the face, eyes, lips, tongue, throat, hands, lower legs, ankles or feet -- to use the blood pressure drug Lotensin (benazepril). Lotensin is an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, a class of medications that have been known to trigger angioedema. That condition is potentially life-threatening. It is more common in black people than in non-black people. If you develop angioedema while taking Lotensin, stop taking the drug and alert your doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...
Can I take angiotensin converting enyme (ACE) inhibitors if I'm pregnant?
Research shows that using angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors during pregnancy, especiall...
What should I know before taking ACE inhibitors?
You should not take an ACE inhibitor if you have ever shown signs of intolerance when taking one in ...
What are ACE inhibitors?
Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) stop producti...