Is there a generic version of Prinivil?

A generic version of Prinivil is available, sold as lisinopril. This drug is prescribed to treat high blood pressure and congestive heart failure and is also given after a heart attack to increase the odds of survival. It is also used "off-label" (in a different way than described by the drug label) to treat diabetic nephropathy (kidney disease or damage in people with diabetes) and retinopathy (damage to the retina of the eye).

Lisinopril is sold by several manufacturers and is available in strengths of 5 milligrams (mg), 10 mg, 20 mg and 40 mg. There are no generic equivalents at 2.5 mg, although the brand-name drug, Prinivil, is available at that strength.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

Do ACE inhibitors have any drug interactions?
If you are taking the following drugs, ACE inhibitors can lead to side effects and should be avoided...
Can I take angiotensin converting enyme (ACE) inhibitors if I'm pregnant?
Research shows that using angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors during pregnancy, especiall...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...
How do ACE inhibitors treat heart attacks?
Anjan Gupta, MDAnjan Gupta, MD
Heart attack is caused by rupture of cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels of the heart leading to...