Is benazepril (Lotensin) safe to use while pregnant or breast-feeding?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers benazepril (Lotensin) to be a pregnancy category D drug, meaning that it can cause injury or death to a fetus. (Studies have demonstrated a risk of birth defects if benazepril is taken during any trimester.)  Be sure to tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy before you begin to take benazepril.

It is currently believed that benazepril may present risks to a breastfeeding baby. If you are taking -- or considering use of -- benazepril while breastfeeding, contact your doctor to discuss any potential risks.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...
How effective are angiotensin receptor blockers for heart failure?
ARBs are sometimes considered as alternatives to ACE inhibitors for people with heart failure after ...
Do ACE inhibitors have any drug interactions?
If you are taking the following drugs, ACE inhibitors can lead to side effects and should be avoided...
What can I take for a cough that is caused by my ACE inhibitor medication?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many people with diabetes have problems with high blood pressure. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE...