Is benazepril (Lotensin) safe to use while pregnant or breastfeeding?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers benazepril (Lotensin) to be a pregnancy Category D drug, meaning that it can cause injury or death to a fetus. (Studies have demonstrated a risk of birth defects if benazepril is taken during any trimester.)  Be sure to tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy before you begin to take benazepril.

It is currently believed that benazepril may present risks to a breastfeeding baby. If you are taking -- or considering use of -- benazepril while breastfeeding, contact your doctor to discuss any potential risks.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

What are some common ACE inhibitor drug names?
SCAISCAI
Examples of some commonly prescribed ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitor medications are: ...
Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...
What effects do ARBs and ACE inhibitors have on the aging process?
Mark C. Houston, MDMark C. Houston, MD
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) and angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are used...
What should I know before taking ACE inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
You should not take an ACE inhibitor if you have ever shown signs of intolerance when taking one in ...