If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Mavik?

If you are pregnant, you should not take the blood pressure drug Mavik (trandolapril). Mavik is what's called an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, and this class of drugs has been found to increase the risk of birth defects. Also, ACE inhibitors can impair kidney function in a developing fetus, leading to under-developed lungs, bone deformations and even death.

While taking Mavik, if you discover that you are pregnant, discontinue the drug immediately and contact your doctor.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing heart failure?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective for patients with systolic heart failure. AC...
How do ACE inhibitors help prevent stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
ACE inhibitors (benazepril, enalapril) are medications commonly used to prevent ischemic stroke. The...
What should I know before taking ACE inhibitors?
You should not take an ACE inhibitor if you have ever shown signs of intolerance when taking one in ...