If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Lotensin?

It is not safe to use the blood pressure drug Lotensin (benazepril) if you're pregnant. Lotensin is an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, a class of medications that can cause birth defects, kidney problems and death in a developing fetus, especially if a woman takes one of these drugs in the last six months of pregnancy.

If you're taking Lotensin, you should call your doctor immediately if you become pregnant or suspect you may be pregnant.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

What are ACE inhibitors?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
ACE inhibitors lower blood pressure by blocking angiotensin converting enzyme. This enzyme promotes ...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...
Why are ACE inhibitor medications beneficial if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
An angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor is an oral medicine that lowers blood pressure. For...
How do ACE inhibitors help prevent stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
ACE inhibitors (benazepril, enalapril) are medications commonly used to prevent ischemic stroke. The...