If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Lotensin?

It is not safe to use the blood pressure drug Lotensin (benazepril) if you're pregnant. Lotensin is an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, a class of medications that can cause birth defects, kidney problems and death in a developing fetus, especially if a woman takes one of these drugs in the last six months of pregnancy.

If you're taking Lotensin, you should call your doctor immediately if you become pregnant or suspect you may be pregnant.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

Do ACE inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking the following drugs, ACE inhibitors can lead to side effects and should be avoided...
What can I take for a cough that is caused by my ACE inhibitor medication?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many people with diabetes have problems with high blood pressure. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE...
What are ACE inhibitor drugs for heart failure management?
Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are recommended for all people with systolic heart fa...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...