How can I minimize the side effects of fosinopril?

You can minimize the side effects of fosinopril, a prescription medication used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure, by taking it as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more or less often than your doctor prescribes.

Fosinopril can cause lightheadedness or even make you faint, especially when you start taking it. You can reduce the likelihood of this problem by making sure to drink enough fluids and avoiding excessive perspiration. Tell your doctor if you experience lightheadedness; if you faint, stop taking fosinopril until you talk with your doctor.

Fosinopril can raise your blood level of potassium. To reduce the risk of potassium levels getting dangerously high, you should not take potassium supplements or use a salt substitute that contains potassium while you're on this drug.

Before you take fosinopril, give your doctor a complete medical history. Because fosinopril can interact with certain drugs, you should also give him or her a list of all your other medications (prescription and over-the-counter), as well as any supplements you take. Once you're on fosinopril, talk with your doctor or pharmacist before starting a new drug or supplement.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How do ACE inhibitors treat heart attacks?
Anjan Gupta, MDAnjan Gupta, MD
Heart attack is caused by rupture of cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels of the heart leading to...
Can I take angiotensin converting enyme (ACE) inhibitors if I'm pregnant?
Research shows that using angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors during pregnancy, especiall...
How do ACE inhibitors help prevent stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
ACE inhibitors (benazepril, enalapril) are medications commonly used to prevent ischemic stroke. The...
What are ACE inhibitor drugs for heart failure management?
Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are recommended for all people with systolic heart fa...