How can I minimize the side effects of Capoten?

To minimize side effects of Capoten (captopril) such as sleepiness and dizziness, talk with your doctor about the lowest dose of Capoten that you can take to lower your blood pressure. Your doctor may start you out on a low dose and may increase the medicine to 50 milligrams (mg), which is the typical dose, as long as you can tolerate it.

You should also share your complete medical history with your doctor. Be sure to mention all known medical conditions, especially heart disease or heart failure, kidney disease and diabetes, as well as medications you take, allergies, substance abuse and pregnancy plans, if applicable.

Do not drive, use machinery or do other activities that require you to be mentally alert until you know how Capoten affects you. While taking Capoten, do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older person. Avoid alcohol, which can increase the effects of sleepiness or dizziness.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...
What are some common ACE inhibitor drug names?
SCAISCAI
Examples of some commonly prescribed ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitor medications are: ...
Can I take angiotensin converting enyme (ACE) inhibitors if I'm pregnant?
Research shows that using angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors during pregnancy, especiall...
How effective are angiotensin receptor blockers for heart failure?
ARBs are sometimes considered as alternatives to ACE inhibitors for people with heart failure after ...