How does Fosinopril treat hypertension?

Fosinopril is part of a class of drugs known as angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. These ACE inhibitors regulate the amount of chemicals in the bloodstream that constrict blood vessels. Fosinopril blocks action of the enzymes in the blood responsible for making angiotensin II, a chemical which causes blood vessels and arteries to tighten up. When this chemical is blocked, the blood vessels are able to relax. This makes it easier for the heart to pump blood through the body, reducing high blood pressure and lifting the strain on the heart.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...
What are ACE inhibitor drugs for coronary artery disease management?
ACE inhibitors relax blood vessels by reducing the level of angiotensin II, a hormone that makes blo...
How effective are angiotensin receptor blockers for heart failure?
ARBs are sometimes considered as alternatives to ACE inhibitors for people with heart failure after ...
What are angiotensin receptor blockers for coronary artery disease?
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) block the hormone angiotensin 2. This limits the amount of sodi...