Can I use Capoten if I have a history of kidney disease?

If you have a history of kidney disease, you may be able to take Capoten (captopril). Your doctor may want to start you on a low dose to give your body time to adjust to the drug and to get the best benefits from it.

If your kidney function is impaired, your doctor may prescribe this medicine only if you developed unacceptable side effects from other drugs or if combinations of drugs haven't been effective for you.

Capoten may also benefit people who have type 1 diabetes and kidney disease. This drug is an angiotensin-converting (ACE) inhibitor that's typically prescribed to treat high blood pressure and certain heart problems.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How do ACE inhibitors treat heart attacks?
Anjan Gupta, MDAnjan Gupta, MD
Heart attack is caused by rupture of cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels of the heart leading to...
What should I know before taking ACE inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
You should not take an ACE inhibitor if you have ever shown signs of intolerance when taking one in ...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing diabetes?
People with diabetes should have a blood pressure goal of 140/90 or less. ARBs (angiotensin receptor...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing heart failure?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective for patients with systolic heart failure. AC...