Can I take Vasotec if I have a history of angioedema?

If you have a history of angioedema, you should not use Vasotec (enalapril), a drug that treats high blood pressure. In angioedema, tissues swell in the face, mouth and throat and sometimes elsewhere in the body; if it occurs in the throat, it can be fatal if it isn't treated right away. Vasotec can trigger angioedema, and the risk of this happening is higher in people who have had the condition before.

Before you start taking Vasotec, make sure to give your doctor a complete medical history, including both past and current conditions. If you have had angioedema and are already taking Vasotec, stop taking it and call your doctor.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing diabetes?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
People with diabetes should have a blood pressure goal of 140/90 or less. ARBs (angiotensin receptor...
How safe are ACE inhibitors?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
In general, ACE inhibitors are quite safe.ACE inhibitors lower blood pressure by blocking angiotensi...
Why are ACE inhibitor medications beneficial if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
An angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor is an oral medicine that lowers blood pressure. For...
What are ACE inhibitors?
Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) stop producti...