Can I take Prinivil if I am taking lithium?

If you're on lithium for bipolar disorder, you may be able to also take Prinivil (lisinopril), a medication prescribed to treat high blood pressure and heart failure and to boost the survival odds after a heart attack. However, your doctor will keep a close eye on the levels of lithium in your blood. Prinivil can decrease the amount of lithium excreted by the kidneys, which can allow too much lithium to stay in your body, a condition called lithium toxicity. Lithium toxicity can cause diarrhea, vomiting and weakness, and in high amounts it can lead to seizures, tremors and coma.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

Do ACE inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking the following drugs, ACE inhibitors can lead to side effects and should be avoided...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing diabetes?
People with diabetes should have a blood pressure goal of 140/90 or less. ARBs (angiotensin receptor...
How do ACE inhibitors treat heart attacks?
Anjan Gupta, MDAnjan Gupta, MD
Heart attack is caused by rupture of cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels of the heart leading to...