Can I take Prinivil if I have a history of kidney disease?

If you have a history of kidney disease, you may be able to take Prinivil (lisinopril). If your kidney disease is moderate or severe, your doctor may lower your dose and monitor you for side effects.

Prinivil is an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor and, as such, can increase levels of blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and serum creatinine, both markers of kidney function. High levels indicate kidney impairment. This is more common in people with renal artery stenosis (narrowing of the renal artery) and those taking diuretics. Treatment with ACE inhibitors such as Prinivil has been shown to slow the progression of kidney disease.

People with kidney disease may also experience a reduction in white blood cells. If you have a history of kidney disease, your doctor will likely do a complete blood count (CBC) before prescribing Prinivil and during treatment.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How do ACE inhibitors help prevent stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
ACE inhibitors (benazepril, enalapril) are medications commonly used to prevent ischemic stroke. The...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...
Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...
Why are ACE inhibitor medications beneficial if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
An angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor is an oral medicine that lowers blood pressure. For...