Can I use quinapril during my pregnancy?

It is not a good idea to use quinapril while you are pregnant. If you are on quinapril and become pregnant, you should know that quinapril can cause serious birth defects, including kidney failure, an underdeveloped skull (skull hypoplasia) and facial deformities; it may kill your developing baby. The risk to the fetus is especially high during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, but as soon as you know you are pregnant, you should let your doctor know so you can stop taking quinapril. Your doctor can suggest other medicines that are safer to use during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

What are ACE inhibitors?
Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) stop producti...
How do ACE inhibitors treat heart attacks?
Anjan Gupta, MDAnjan Gupta, MD
Heart attack is caused by rupture of cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels of the heart leading to...
How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing heart failure?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective for patients with systolic heart failure. AC...
What are ACE inhibitor drugs for diabetes management?
Lowering blood pressure by taking an ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitor reduces the risk ...