What are the side effects of taking the abortion pill?

The abortion pill to end a pregnancy causes symptoms similar to an early miscarriage. The medication can only be used up to 10 weeks of pregnancy. You will bleed and have cramps. You might feel nauseous and weak for the first 24 hours and may even spike a low temperature. These symptoms subside, but if they continue or worsen you should contact your health care provider.
Cramping and bleeding are the expected effects of taking mifepristone, sometimes called the abortion pill. The bleeding is likely to be heavier than a typical menstrual period. The second tablet used for medical abortion, misoprostol, may cause cramps, nausea and diarrhea.

For more information see the Mifeprex Medication Guide on the FDA web site at www.fda.gov.

Continue Learning about Abortion

Are there any risks in taking the abortion pill?
Risks from taking the abortion pill are rare. They include incomplete abortion, failure to end the p...
What should I keep in mind before deciding on abortion?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
For some of us, the possibility of learning more about our developing baby during pregnancy makes us...
What should I expect at an abortion clinic?
While some doctors' offices and some clinics rarely attract protesters, at others they are not uncom...
Naya Rivera Talks About Her Abortion
Naya Rivera Talks About Her Abortion