What should I look for in a plastic surgeon if I want a tummy tuck?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Tummy tuck procedures, or abdominoplasties, should be performed only by board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeons. The doctor should be a diplomat of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. May also be a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. The doctor should have many years of experience and training, having finished his or her general surgery residency, and fellowship in plastic and reconstructive Surgery.

It is important to find a board certified plastic surgeon who has done many of the operation that you desire to have performed. Look at the doctor's before and after photographs. He, or she, should have hundreds, if not thousands, of before and after pictures of the procedure that you desire to have achieved. The doctor should be experienced and have judgment that years and years of private practice will yield. You may also desire to actually see patients who have had the operation and speak to them, either by person or on telephone once approved by the patient.
Erik A. Hoy, MD
Plastic Surgery
The things to look for in a plastic surgeon are similar in all plastic surgery procedures. First and foremost, he or she should be board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). This means a minimum of 5 years of surgical training, with at least 2 years training in plastic surgery. Membership in the major plastic surgery societies, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) is also a good indication that your surgeon is well trained and well regarded in the field of plastic surgery. Finally, choose a surgeon that has experience with the procedure, has previous patients with results like you desire, demonstrates strong ethical standards, and that you can connect with and trust. The surgery should be performed only in an appropriately accredited operating facility. The initial consultation is the time to establish these conditions, not the day of surgery!

Continue Learning about Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck

When should I call my doctor if I have an abdominoplasty?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
After an abdominoplasty, the patient should call the doctor immediately for signs of bleeding, infec...
What will my scar look like from abdominoplasty surgery?
Scarring from abdominoplasties can range from excellent to horrible. There is no guarantee as to...
What Is an Abdominoplasty?
What Is an Abdominoplasty?
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
What Is a Tummy Tuck?