When should I call my doctor if I have an abdominoplasty?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

After an abdominoplasty, the patient should call the doctor immediately for signs of bleeding, infection, or difficulty breathing. Signs of a hematoma or bleeding are quite obvious with blood draining profusely into the drainage tubes and bulbs. This is a sign of active bleeding that must be controlled immediately. Patients are normally taken back to surgery under general anesthesia, abdomen opened, hematoma evacuated, and hemostasis is obtained as necessary. Patients with fever and temperature greater than 101.5 degrees should be seen for infection. Infection can be superficial along the skin such as cellulitis or deep such as an abscess. Oral or intravenous antibiotics may be necessary. Should you have calf pain, call immediately or go to the nearest emergency room to rule out a deep-venous thrombus. Shortness of breath may be associated with a pulmonary embolus which will require immediate diagnosis and anticoagulation (heparinization).

Continue Learning about Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck

How much excess skin do I need to qualify for a tummy tuck?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Some patients come to my office complaining of laxity, or looseness, of the skin around the bell...
What is the recovery time after a tummy tuck?
The recovery time after a tummy tuck depends on the size and extent of each individuals surgery. Nor...
How long does a tummy tuck take to perform?
The hours of a tummy tuck in surgery depends upon the size of the tummy. The average tummy tuck take...
How is fat harvesting used in cosmetic procedures?
Roger E. Bassin, MDRoger E. Bassin, MD
Watch as Dr. Roger Bassin explains what fat harvesting is and how it is used in facial plastic s...