What is the recovery time after a tummy tuck?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
The recovery time after a tummy tuck depends on the size and extent of each individuals surgery. Normally, approximately 6-8 weeks is necessary to heal to the point of normal physical activity. The first week patients have drains in for removal of fluids and small amounts of blood. The sutures normally remain in for 14-17 days. The abdominal compression garment is worn for at least 6 weeks.

Continue Learning about Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck

What should I expect during a tummy tuck?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
In the preop area before tummy tuck surgery, your surgeon will draw a line on the middle of your...
Is it painful to have drainage tubes removed after tummy tuck surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
There is a myth circulating through the rumor mill that pulling out the drain tubes is painful. ...
What happens during an abdominoplasty?
During an abdominoplasty 3 steps are performed. The first step is making the incision at the C-secti...
Is it safe to get a tummy tuck surgery if I have an umbilical hernia?
It is absolutely safe to have a combined abdominoplasty and umbilical hernia repair concurrently. It...