What happens during an abdominoplasty?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
During an abdominoplasty 3 steps are performed. The first step is making the incision at the C-section level and extending it hip to hip full thickness down to the muscle fascia. Next, upper dissection to the rib cage is performed and the inner muscles are tightened. Finally, the redundant tissue is removed, new position for belly button created, and liposuction of the hips may be performed. 2 drainage tubes are placed for at least 7 days and an abdominal binder is placed for 6 weeks. Dressings should be changed for next 2 weeks and then sutures from the skin are removed. No lifting for 6 weeks and incisions are kept dry for 10 days in my practice. Scar treatment can include silicone gel spray or liquid applied twice a day for at least 3 months. 

Continue Learning about Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck

What should I expect when recovering from a tummy tuck?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
A tummy tuck procedure involves making an incision just above the pubic hair line, removing the exce...
Are tummy tucks performed on bariatric surgery patients?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Tummy tucks or panniculectomies may be performed on bariatric surgical patients. Patients with massi...
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
What Is an Abdominoplasty?
What Is an Abdominoplasty?