How long is the recovery after tummy tuck surgery?

Tara Whitworth
Nursing
A tummy tuck procedure involves making an incision just above the pubic hair line, removing the excess skin and fat, and tightening the abdominal muscle. The recovery time for a tummy tuck varies for each individual, but generally takes at least 6-8 weeks.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
In general, the recovery is at least six weeks after a tummy tuck surgery. Our patients have drainage tubes in for seven days at which time they are told not to go back to work. Once the tubes are removed, they can go back to work as long as there is no heavy lifting. Sutures remain in for up to 17 days. Subsequently, patients can resume light walking.  However, exercising with normal routine should usually commence at about six to eight weeks. It takes at least six weeks for the sutures on the muscles to scar back down and, therefore, we have the patients wait. Patients are also put in abdominal binders and girdles for six to eight weeks in order to reduce swelling, edema, and allow the tissue to scar back down.

Continue Learning about Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck

How common are tummy tucks?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Tummy tucks are a common procedure that are performed in the United States. In fact, tens of thousan...
What should I know if I'm considering a tummy tuck?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
A tummy tuck procedure involves making an incision just above the pubic hair line, removing the exce...
What Is an Abdominoplasty?
What Is an Abdominoplasty?
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
What Is a Tummy Tuck?