How long is the recovery after tummy tuck surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
In general, the recovery is at least six weeks after a tummy tuck surgery. Our patients have drainage tubes in for seven days at which time they are told not to go back to work. Once the tubes are removed, they can go back to work as long as there is no heavy lifting. Sutures remain in for up to 17 days. Subsequently, patients can resume light walking.  However, exercising with normal routine should usually commence at about six to eight weeks. It takes at least six weeks for the sutures on the muscles to scar back down and, therefore, we have the patients wait. Patients are also put in abdominal binders and girdles for six to eight weeks in order to reduce swelling, edema, and allow the tissue to scar back down.

Continue Learning about Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck

what are the risks involved with a tummy tuck ?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The risks involved with tummy tucking include both early as well as later complications. Most common...
what are my options if i am unhappy with my tummy tuck results ?
Initially the patient should discuss her results with her original plastic surgeon. Be specific and ...
why would a tummy tuck be done in two different surgeries ?
One of the things that surprise many patients is when their doctor suggests that the abdominal s...
what is an abdominoplasty ?
what is an abdominoplasty ?