Is a tummy tuck part of the surgery to repair diastasis recti?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Normally, when performing a tummy tuck, we repair or plicate the rectus muscle fascia. The rectus diastasis is a reasult of pregnancy with the paired muscles and overlying fascia pulled out laterally. After release and dissection of the abdominal wall up to the subcostal margin (lower rib cage), the rectus sheath is plicated to the midline to tighten the midline abdominal wall. However, in patients with an enormous pannus from massive weight loss, the rectus sheath may not be tightened. Also, in women hoping to have future pregnancy with massive skin laxity, I often do Not tighten the rectus fascia. 
Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
I have rarely repaired the diastasis without doing a tummy tuck. That's because usually we use a hip bone to hip bone incision and remove excess skin at the same time. A few times, I used small incisions and fixed the muscle using an endoscope (an instrument with a camera on the end of it). Not a great procedure, however.

There were about 120,000 tummy tucks in the US last year. There are no stats on diastasis repair alone, but my guess is probably less than 100.

Continue Learning about Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck

Will insurance cover any part of tummy tuck costs?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
Insurance generally does not cover cosmetic surgery, so you will need to pay for your tummy tuck out...
How long does a tummy tuck take to perform?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The hours of a tummy tuck in surgery depends upon the size of the tummy. The average tummy tuck take...
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
What Is an Abdominoplasty?
What Is an Abdominoplasty?